7.18.2013

Book Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower


The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them." 
                           -Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower


I just finished reading this book. To put it simply, it was inspiring, emotional, and brilliantly written. I know it was a great book because I felt different after I read it. It made me want to do things. Mainly to write more. Also to do more nice things for people, things that really matter. To pay attention to people. This book also made me a bit sad. Like I mentioned, it was an emotional book. I felt so connected to Charlie, like I really knew him and his life. That also makes it a great book: I was invested in it. Though various parts in the book were hard to read (due to the emotional content in the book), I absolutely loved it. It is one of those books that makes you think about your life: where you are at, where you are going. I realize some people may not like that type of book. But then again, maybe they are the ones that need it most. 

I am finding it difficult to start reading the next book on my list, as always (book hangover?).  I feel sad about leaving the book and the people in it behind. I hope I do not forget them. What they taught me. How they helped me. Is that strange? Maybe it is, but it is just how I feel. Especially after an inspiring book like The Perks of Being a Wallflower. 

Side Note: this book does contain sexual, drug, and emotional content. I'd recommend this for mature audiences only.



No comments:

Post a Comment