5.07.2016

Book Review: The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater



The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4) by Maggie Stiefvater
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Synopsis: For years, Gansey has been on a quest to find a lost king. One by one, he's drawn others into this quest: Ronan, who steals from dreams; Adam, whose life is no longer his own; Noah, whose life is no longer a lie; and Blue, who loves Gansey. . . and is certain she is destined to kill him. 
Now the endgame has begun. Dreams and nightmares are converging. Love and loss are inseparable. And the quest refuses to be pinned to a path.*


"He was a book, and he was holding his final pages, and he wanted to get to the end to find out how it went, and he didn't want it to be over." -- Maggie Stiefvater, The Raven King

I can't. I just can't. 

I have a serious love/hate relationship with finishing a series, and The Raven Cycle was no different. Maggie Stiefvater did an incredible job with the final installment of the wild and glorious tale of Blue and her Raven Boys. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that while I truly enjoyed the crushing twist Maggie releases upon us towards the end, I still did not like the ending of The Raven King. I could have worked with what Maggie gave us if it had been prolonged, but as it is, I felt like the novel ended extremely abruptly, with loose ends tied up in a mere few pages. Other than that, I absolutely loved The Raven King. The twists and turns are fantastic, the secondary characters added even more depth and entertainment, and the tangible tension between the main characters is delicious. The Raven King is a beautiful, brutal, tantalizing, and mystical brew, and I could not get enough of it.

I was holding the book, and I wanted to get to the end to find out how it went, but I didn't want it to be over. 


JR

*Synopsis provided by Goodreads.com

No comments:

Post a Comment